The Family I Couldn't Marry Into

I'm not actually married yet.

Although, if approval was ever on the cards, I suspect my chances have evaporated somewhere between being loudly pro trans rights and refusing to laugh at racist comments.

Funny how that works.

People say that when you marry someone, you marry their family too.

They talk about Sunday lunches and shared traditions. Christmases that get louder every year. Becoming someone's daughter. Someone's sister. A place where your children will always belong.

No one really talks about the families that never make room for you.

For a long time, I thought acceptance was something you earned. That if I was patient enough, kind enough, if I chose my words carefully enough, eventually I'd find my place.

Instead, I found myself sitting at tables where whole groups of people were spoken about as though they mattered less.

My future mother in law would tell migrants to "go back where they came from", as though belonging could be measured by the sound of your surname. Asian and Indian people became stereotypes instead of neighbours. Muslims were spoken about with contempt instead of compassion.

Then there were the conversations about transgender Aboriginal people.

She insisted Sistergirls and Brotherboys weren't real.

I remember thinking how strange it is to deny someone's existence while they're busy living it.

How easy it must be to erase people when you've never had to fight to be seen yourself.

The strange part is that none of those conversations were about me.

I'm not Muslim.

I'm not Asian.

I'm not Indian.

I'm not a Sistergirl or a Brotherboy.

And I'm tired.

I'm tired of defending people I am not.

I'm tired of having to explain that dignity isn't something you earn. That respect shouldn't depend on your race, your religion or your gender identity.

But I cannot sit complacent.

Because silence has a funny way of sounding like agreement.

Because if someone spoke about people I love like that, I'd hope somebody else would find the courage to say, "That's enough."

So I did.

Not because I thought I'd change her mind.

Because I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.

Every time I challenged those comments, I became the problem.

Eventually, the conversation stopped being about strangers.

It reached me.

My future mother in law called me a cunt.

My future sister in law joined in.

No one deserves to be abused for standing up for another person's humanity.

No one deserves to be called names because they believe everyone deserves dignity.

If defending people who aren't in the room makes me difficult, then so be it.

I'd rather be difficult than indifferent.

For a while, I grieved the family I thought I might one day marry into.

Not because I miss who they are.

Because I miss who I hoped they would be.

The family where curiosity mattered more than certainty.

Where children could ask questions without inheriting prejudice.

Where difference wasn't treated as something to fear.

That family only ever existed in my imagination.

The real one expected silence.

To smile politely.

To let comments slide.

To stop making everything political.

As though another person's humanity is politics.

Walking away felt like failure.

Until I realised staying would have required something far worse.

It would have required abandoning myself.

Family isn't measured by a shared surname.

It's measured by whether people are safe to be fully themselves.

If I have to choose between belonging and my values, I know which one I'll choose.

Every single time.

Comments

Popular Posts