Why I Don't Have Social Media

People are often surprised when I tell them I don't have social media. It's not because I think I'm better than anyone who does. For me, it simply comes down to how I want to spend my time and attention.

One of the biggest reasons is comparison. No matter how confident you are, it's difficult not to compare your life to the carefully selected highlights of everyone else's. Someone is always travelling somewhere better, achieving more, looking happier, or living what appears to be a more exciting life. Comparison is often called the thief of joy for a reason. The more we focus on what others have, the less grateful we become for what is already in front of us.

I also don't like the idea of curating a perfect version of myself. Social media encourages us to become our own marketing team, carefully choosing which moments are worth sharing and which parts of life remain hidden. Over time, the line between who we are and who we present ourselves to be can become blurred.

Another reason is time. A few minutes of scrolling can easily become an hour. Days become weeks, and weeks become years. When I think about how limited our time is, I'd rather spend it reading, writing, learning, being with people I care about, or simply being present in my own life.

Perhaps what concerns me most is how easily self-worth can become tied to numbers. Likes, followers, views, and comments can begin to feel like measures of value. But a person's worth cannot be captured by an algorithm or reduced to statistics on a screen.

Social media isn't inherently bad, and I understand why so many people enjoy it. It helps people stay connected, share ideas, and build communities. But for me, the benefits don't outweigh the costs.

Life already gives us enough reasons to doubt ourselves, compare ourselves, and waste our time. I don't need an app helping me do it.

Comments

Popular Posts